media

I Will Sue the Chicago Sun-Times

Feb. 12, 2013 

Walsh-S-T-front-page

Late this afternoon, the Chicago Sun-Times posted a story on-line that claimed that I wanted to stop making child support payments. That claim is an absolute lie, and I will no longer stand for it.

Here are the facts: My three kids are 25, 22, and 18-years-old. My youngest son will be emancipated in May of this year when he graduates from high school. Two weeks ago, I did what every other father who is paying child support is supposed to do — by law — when their employment situation changes — I modified my support agreement. With my Congressional term ending on January 3, and with my ex-wife having been paid in full through my term in Congress, by law, I filed a modification of my support payments for my remaining unemancipated child for these next four months. This modification called for me to pay my ex-wife 20% of my net income during these four months, which is my responsibility by law.

This is what the law requires me to do, and I’ve met that obligation. I’ve only been out of Congress for a month, and I expect to be employed again very soon. Regardless, I will continue with my child support payments by law until my son Patrick is emancipated.

This action was not done surreptitiously or with any malice towards my ex-wife. I did exactly what the law required me to do. Nothing was covered-up. Nothing was hidden.

Earlier this afternoon, Natasha Korecki of the Chicago Sun-Times, wrote a story about me and my child support arrangement, without bothering to speak to me or to my attorney. The story stated and implied that I did not want to make child support payments and was behind on payments. Both statements are false.

I have never shirked my financial responsibility for my children. The Sun Times has had a vendetta against me since I was first elected. I will no longer take it. I have had to live with the “deadbeat dad” label, even though the original case against me was dropped one year ago, and my ex-wife acknowledged that I have always been a loving and supportive father.

This article by the Sun Times is a deliberate attempt to defame me, and I will sue them immediately. My adult children have been my life. I pledged to them two years ago that I would fight these charges privately to keep them out of the news, but with the Chicago Sun Times fabricating a story, I am, at long last, going to fight back.

There is no story here. I did what all supportive fathers are supposed to do by law, and as always, I will continue to support my children and now go after anyone w ho says otherwise.

UPDATE: As you can see by the screenshots below, Ms. Korecki of the Sun-Times posted her story to the newspaper’s website at the exact same time that she sent an e-mail to my attorney asking for comment. She claims falsely in her e-mail that my voicemail was full. That is not true.

Notice the time the story was posted on the Sun-Times’ website:

JW-ST

 Then notice the time that Ms. Korecki e-mailed my attorney seeking a comment on the story:

JW-NK

 UPDATE 2: Over five hours after the original story was posted on the Sun-Times’ website, Ms. Korecki FINALLY does something that vaguely resembles journalism and attempts to get both sides of the story. Notice how different the headline is:

JW-ST2

UPDATE 3: The original tweets from Natasha Korecki from Monday night tell a much different story than the revised story that appears today on the Sun-Times’ website:

 

 





3 Responses to “I Will Sue the Chicago Sun-Times”

  1. […] Illinois Republican Rep. Joe Walsh plans to sue the Chicago Sun-Times for printing what he said “is a deliberate attempt to defame” […]

  2. […] Illinois Republican Rep. Joe Walsh plans to sue the Chicago Sun-Times for printing what he said “is a deliberate attempt to defame” […]

  3. […] Illinois Republican Rep. Joe Walsh plans to sue the Chicago Sun-Times for printing what he said “is a deliberate attempt to defame” […]